Your windows do not need to be “made green”; they already are.
The evidence is in their longevity . Window restoration is economical, environmentally beneficial, and will preserve your home’s historic value. Your wooden windows can be made more energy-efficient, thereby making the restoration of your old wooden window “greener” than a replacement.
Based on our 25 years of experience, windows should not be replaced unless absolutely necessary. With interior weather stripping and a good storm window you will have energy efficiency comparable to a replacement. Environmentally conscious people are opting for restoration over replacement as a way to conserve energy, save money, and reduce their carbon footprint.
If you are still undecided here are a few points to consider:
- Discarded windows add to already overcrowded landfills.
- Manufacturing replacement windows produces still more waste.
- Large amounts of energy are consumed to extract and process raw materials, and then to assemble, transport, and install replacement windows.
- Replacement windows use nonrenewable resources such as petroleum.
- Forests are being depleted in the production of wooden replacements.
- Replacement windows may contain toxins (e.g., PVC, the single most environmentally damaging of all plastics and one of the most hazardous consumer products ever created).
At WindowRepair.com, Inc. we strongly believe that restoration is a better choice for the environment than replacement.
105 Bennett Street, Brighton, MA 02135-2621